Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Things I Miss: Performing, Portuguese, Playwriting, and Ping-Pong

performing

This last week I visited my sis. Stacia in St. George to watch her tear it up on stage.  She did not disappoint.  The only downside for me about going to the theater is I can feel the stage beckoning me back.  I miss performing.  I was last in a play nearly 3 years ago at the Hale Center Theater.  After a disastrous opening night, where I forgot all my lines, things got better, and I loved the whole experience.  I love being part of a cast.  I love entertaining others.  Since then I have found small ways to entertain, I suppose.  Hosting play reading parties.  Going crazy at dances.   Hula-hooping in random talent shows, etc.  But it has been too long since I have done live theater.  I have two dream roles:  Algernon in the Importance of Being Earnest.  and The Scarlet Pimpernel.  So far, I was able to be Algernon in a one-act version of the play.  However, my inability to sing, or more aptly put, my lack of drive to maximize the potential that people tell me I have to be a good singer, may keep me away from the Scarlet Pimpernel role.  But hey, who knows, perhaps in ten years. . .  Anyway, I'm excited to get a new job, and hopefully, one that allows me enough time to perform on occasion.  

I chose not to pursue theater as a career, partly after my experience with Ballroom.  I used to love ballroom, but when I started getting better and getting on better teams, the stringent professionalism and stress took the fun out of it for me.  So, I am content with just having theater as my hobby- something I can do to get away from stress as opposed to something that contributes to my stress.  

portuguese

Recently, I interviewed for a job where they want me to learn Spanish.  It actually seems like a promising job and I will take it if offered (probably have a good chance because I think I'm the only one the guy has interviewed- long story).  Regardless, I am excited about being forced to learn a new language.  Lately, I've been attending a Spanish ward and am amazed at how similar it is to Portuguese.  And it really made me miss speaking my second language.  I occasionally read portuguese or listen to interviews or shows online in portuguese, but there is nothing like being able to communicate with others in another language.  

playwriting

It started with a 10 minute play in a theater class.   Soon the play turned into a one-act, but it wasn't even close to being done.  Too many plot lines to tie up.  So I took two playwriting courses and wrote a full-length play.  After finishing, I've periodically updated and revised the play.  I've work-shopped it a few times.  I have finally put that play to rest.  Though, if I do go back to the play, it will be a significant revision like cutting some characters as my playwriting teacher wanted me to do; but for some reason, I just can't seem to cut any of my 12 characters.  True, the 12 characters makes it less marketable---but the play was more fun to write for me---I wasn't concerned about marketability.   Still, I've had a few people tell me to send it in to some places- and I probably should. . . so we'll see.

Regardless, I miss playwriting.  I already have the title to the next one: The Mayor of Mudsling... but that's as far as I've gotten.  For some reason I do much better with deadlines; which is why I've thought about starting a small writing club in the future.  

ping-pong
In high school I was avid player of the pong.  My friend Mike and I would play nearly every day after school during my last semester of high school.  One of our shining moments is when we played the champion at a local institute and both of us triumphed.  I go to clubs now and then, but it doesn't seem enough.  I miss the obsession.

presently...

Presently, as I sit around waiting for bar results and search for jobs, I'll continue dreaming about the things I miss.

2 comments:

Nagi said...

I'd love to see you in a play. I didn't know you were into theater beyond playwriting, but I can see where your boldness would definitely work for you. You definitely have the potential to be a good singer, so signing up for ward choir might be a decent way to get a leg up on one day playing the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Good luck learning Spanish, and on getting bar results back.

The Hardys said...

Don't ever lose those dreams, in fact we want to see you perform the lead role in your own play!! Wouldn't that be cool :)