Thursday, January 21, 2010

What You See Is What You Get

I knew those magic books were trying to tell me something. Instead, I just believed a rumor that left-handed people struggle with these autostereograms (below.)


































Today, I researched this rumor, and have found nothing. I guess it should have come as no surprise that I failed a depth perception test. I should have seen this coming a long time ago. But apparently, I'm not good at seeing things coming. In the test, they line up five circles and you are supposed to say which one appears the closest. I hadn't a clue. I couldn't even do the first line.

I don't know why I struggle with depth perception. But the reality to me, is that I never knew that I struggled with depth perception. How can you reconcile a lack of visionary skill that never was? Now, I am in a perceived crisis of grand depths. I mean, the world as I see it, is apparently very very shallow. This perhaps changes my perception of several of my past events. Some illustrations.

When I was six, I was in a sled that was heading straight for a pole. The sled crashed into the pole and so did my face. I wonder now if I just didn't know the pole was that close--which, in turn, prevented me from jumping out when I should have... Like my brother did.

Then there's the time I went cliff-jumping. People were taking forever to decide whether to jump. Most went, but they thought and planned. I simply walked to the edge and without thinking---plunged. I got injured, of course. Did the water appear closer than it really was---and thus, enhancing my bravado. All this time, I just thought I had a lot of courage. Maybe my perception was just off.

Even more unnerving. One of my friends, who literally has no depth perception, mentioned he has never failed a depth perception test. For now, I'll try to get through this--my latest identity crisis--and succumb to the fact that what you see is what you get.

And can someone please tell me what 3D pictures are embedded in the above pictures. It is driving me crazy.

3 comments:

Janae said...

Awesome post. The first one is a little harder to see but it is a whirlpool. The second is a bunch of mushrooms. I love Magic Eye.

Nagi said...

Janae's got it right - whirlpool on the top, mushrooms below.

I will confess to having absolutely shoddy depth perception (hence my being a dangerous Asian Girl Driver) but I can see Magic Eye images at the top of a hat (this may have to do with my ability to kick into double vision without getting hit in the head).

If you can't see the images, it might just be that they're on a computer screen.

Hopefully this portion of your identity crisis goes all right.

Why were you getting a depth perception test anyway?

Spoke said...

I took the depth perception test as part of the application process for the US Coast Guard.