Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spoke Two: Hula-hoopers Anonymous

The hooping started in Egypt 3,000 years ago, with participants using grapevines and grasses. Later, in England sticks were used. It transformed to plastic in the 1950s. Now you can get the normal everyday hula-hoop at Wal-Mart or customize your own. It's now an undying fad. Someone will always want to hula-hoop.

It's true. I can hula-hoop. At first, this was not something I really would broadcast to everyone, but now I don't care as much. It's just something I can do without much practice. In fact, all of my siblings can hula-hoop without much effort. I had to laugh a few years ago when I came across a website hooping.org. At the home page it had read, "for the underground hula-hooping community." Apparently I am not the only one to shy away from the talent.

I don't have much footage of my hula-hooping ventures, because well, I really don't do it too often. However, I do have this:


And also this:



I found some interesting hula-hooping records here.

It started with a talent show in Michigan. Ironically, the only time I'll bust out the hula seems to be when some sort of talent show comes up. Typically I can't think of anything else to do. So I just hoop it up. My new trick is hula-hooping while balance boarding. Anyway, perhaps when another talent show comes, I'll dust off the hula-hoops and perform once again.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

Woohoo!!! That's talent, yo!

I always wished I could hoop but it's just not in the cards for me. I'm jealous!

Brittney said...

PS They had a hula-hooping contest at our ward party tonight and a member of the bishopric won -with style- so you're not alone, cuz.

Brian and Crystal said...

Ryan- YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE STUD. (and, that's all I have to say about that.)