For starters, I have bad luck when it comes to nurses using needles on me. It started in the MTC when they tried to draw a little blood and they had troubles drawing blood out of my vein. After poking me a few times, they still couldn't draw any blood, and I had to come back for a second visit. I told them to try the left arm, and viola, blood came out without a problem. On subsequent occasions when I've had to have my blood drawn, I always point out that my left arm should be used; however, some stubborn nurses still go for the right arm, saying there shouldn't be a problem. Almost always, they miss, and have to go to my left arm. This frustrating endeavor has made me sick of needles and I abhor the idea of getting my blood drawn.
I have never donated blood. But as the one responsible for being the new ward blood-drive recruiting zealot, I feel almost obliged to acquiesce. However, I don't think I will. Even after meeting with the Red Cross representative telling me how much blood is needed, I just don't think I can stomach it.
So I have decided to come up with a compromise to rectify my guilt for not participating in blood drives: I'm going to sign up to be an organ donor.
1 comment:
Happy Day! being an organ donor is one of the best things that a person on this earth can do. I'm with you on the donating blood--I have a gazillion reasons why I can't (mostly because I've been to Africa). However I have been a organ donor since I can rememer.
When my brother died he was able to change the lives of so many other people by being an organ donor. His death was life to others--I love that !
Hey I plan to see you in AZ in year!
Post a Comment