Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Can Procrastination Help Preclude Perfectionism?

I have a theory.  I call it efficient procrastination.  But first...

Perfectionism.
Often, when I want to get a big jump start on a paper or a presentation, I commonly find myself spending a lot of time.  In some cases, probably too much time.  I notice this, specifically, when I have to write a paper or when I'm preparing for one of my mock trials.  In doing such, I end up reading and researching, probably more than I need to.  Typically, despite how much effort, it still causes stress the day before, because I fear it's not quite yet perfect.  On the upside, I do feel, despite how bad the stress level becomes, I know because of the extra preparation, I'll make it through.  Question: is it worth the long term stress?  I'm not so sure, especially if I engage in what I call efficient procrastination.

Efficient Procrastination.
First, an illustration.  Last year, I had a paper due  after finals for my mediation class.  It was a 6 page paper for a pass/fail class.  Earlier in the semester, I did a sufficient amount of research to write it, but saved the writing for after finals.  I had one day to write the paper before it was due.  So that's what I did.  I spent 5 hours in one night writing the thing.  Turned it in, and didn't look back.  Now, if I had started writing it earlier on, I would have spent twice as much time for a paper that didn't count for much.  

Thus, I've learned, sometimes procrastination really does pay off.  I'm not saying that you should start writing a paper at 4am when it's due at 7am, because that may cause panic/ulcers/or worse: a very bad grade.  I am merely suggesting that sometimes putting things off forces me to spend less time on it.  Case in point: I spent a ton of time researching for my first mock trial.  Then, when it came down to writing my direct examination, I hardly used any of the material I read... I realized I should have started writing my direct before I went on this rabid reading frenzy.  I should have procrastinated.  

I have implemented this strategy in my Negotiations class when I have to write a one 4 page reflective paper a week.  I typically start a day before its due, knowing that this still would give me enough time.   As such, I get it done, and at the same time spend the first 5 days of the week not worrying about it;  when typically, it would take me a few days and several hours to write one measly, meaningless 4 pg. paper.  You see, the secret to efficient procrastination is that you still give yourself sufficient time to finish the assignment and do a good job.  Heck, I'd argue you could still do a great job.  In truth, efficient procrastination is really the cure to help avoid the habit of an excessive compulsive behavior... known as perfectionism.

2 comments:

The Hardys said...

I agree...efficient procrastination is how I graduated from BYU without loosing my sanity! It's a great method for those of us who have the tendancy to stress :) -Megan (p.s. your nephew loves you!)

Scotty B said...

Genius - well articulated and expressed in a way I have not been able to do. I've known in some way that procrastinating has helped me get through school, without losing balance in life, but I've not been able to delineate so well why it worked. . . genius